See a non-academic version here
I am a creative technologist building digital and physical products, and always busy with user experience design, software and hardware. In my current academic position I specialise in a Research Through Design methodology. Using novel technologies and bespoke designs, I develop interactive research products and deploy them in-the-wild. Learning from these experienceable products allows the exploration of alternative futures. In particular, my interests lay in interaction with distributed data in everyday environments that support or relieve human cognition, in enjoyable, playful and less-utilitarian ways. In my current research, as a Doctoral Trainee, I deploy alternative approaches to explore data as a resource for family life. This contributes to the search to find family-inclusive ways to use, manage and enjoy data amongst the family at home, including children and elderly of all ages.
Parallel to this work, I experiment with designing software, hardware and product design, and enjoy woodworking, being outdoors and boardgames.
Contact me on Github, LinkedIn, or Email.
Developing software with a focus on API-level data interoperability and companion applications to streamline the integrated use of sensing devices in the IDEA-FAST digital healthcare project. The Horizon 2020 project investigates digital endpoints in neurodegenerative and immune-mediated diseases to improve therapeutic intervention and quality of life.
Doctoral researcher on novel family-focused interfaces for internet-connected services. I started at Northumbria (2017) and transferred with my supervisor to Newcastle (2019).
- Designed Domestic Widgets, a ‘physicalisation’ IoT toolkit for families to create cardboard-based indicators that connect with various data sources through voice control.
- Implemented natural language processing, embedded hardware and bespoke web services for secure data management and access by Domestic Widget users through the voice UI.
- Developed a Google App Script (Phone Grown), which transforms a Google Sheet into a user interface to create rule-based ambient information displays from ‘left-over’ phones.
- Designed an accompanying UI in Google Sheets and written tutorial supporting a do-it-yourself, scalable and open-source dissemination of this app.
- Deployed both products at 5-10 families each for ~2 months; individually conducted observations and interviews to qualitatively study how domestic connected devices can be better designed with families in mind, and for which potential shared purposes.
Teaching (demonstrating) in MSc courses such as Advanced Programming, Information Systems (Interaction Design and Databases), Programming and Data Structures, Object-Oriented Programming (BSc course at Northumbria University).
Animated and designed various motion graphics and illustrations for clients such as Smart-Homes.nl, Eindhoven University of Technology (SkillsLab, School of Education) and Media Markt NL.
- Developed extra-curricular STEM courses (e.g. electronics, programming) for, and managed relations with, pre-university schools.
- Delivered, and recruited other university students to deliver, these courses at pre-university schools throughout the region. Pupil ages ranged from 12 - 17.
- Continuously worked with Cloud Computing solutions - primarily using the Google Cloud Platform (GCP, e.g. Cloud Functions, DialogFlow, Firebase/store, Authentication), including RESTful APIs, utilising (no)SQL databases and ensuring data security through rules and authentication.
- Balanced development skillset across the full stack, with a sound understanding and experience in
- data structures (e.g. OOP) and design patterns (e.g. async concurrency, pub/sub messaging, queues),
- source and version control (git) and (unit)tests (e.g. pytest, nox),
- utilizing and building upon third-party libraries and package managers (e.g. npm, poetry, pyenv),
This includes familiarity with containerisation (Docker) and an eagerness to gain more experience in continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- UI/UX design, originating from illustrations and motion graphics. Comfortably navigates the Adobe Suite, including Adobe XD, Illustrator and Photoshop. Applied UX design skills through the development of various visual (screen-based), audible (voice assistant) and physical (gestural) interfaces.
- Product development, shaping form through paper prototyping, cardboard modelling, 3D printing and woordworking. Creating function through off-the-shelf electronics (Arduino/Raspberry PI) and bespoke hardware (circuit design).
Literature and user research for qualitative (e.g. thematic), quantitative and data analysis. Experienced in tools such as SPSS, NVivo, and utilising Python scripts (D3.js, pandas, plotly) for data analysis.
Experienced presenter and writer for academic (see also publications), technical, public and informal purposes. I am self-directed and resourceful, yet not afraid to ask for help and collaborate.
Tools: Python (type annotated), command line interface (click), package manager (poetry), (unit)testing (pytest, nox).
Thesis on Family-focused design for data-driven products. Initially at Northumbria University (10/17 - 07/19)
Graduated with distinction
Received a qualification for teaching secondary education physics
Full-time representation of Industrial Design students in multiple bodies throughout the University.
An academic workshop on the sustainable and life ‘after death’ for the increasing number of IoT devices
An academic workshop on self-powered sustainable interfaces and interactions
Presented my research on Domestic Widgets (in 2019) and on WaveTrace (in 2018) as closing plenary for the BSc Interaction Design
5-day academic workshop on the future of smart domestic objects to help frame future work in interaction design
9-day product design workshop on future BENQ products
Received as part of my acceptance to CHI 2019 Doctoral Consortium
Used to host my research at the UK Maker Faire 2018 in Newcastle
Used to translate the WaveTrace research project into a consumer product prototype
Used for travel and accommodation for ISS 2017